Wednesday 22 June 2011

A bizarre anecdote from an academic list

Below I have posted an email that  turned up on an academic email list that I subscribe to, from a professor at Berkley, who should know better.
I will post my reply in the next post.


 H-JAPAN (E)    June 19, 2011

For those of you who have not yet returned to Japan since 3/11, it may be helpful to understand how significant the absence of "gaijin" is in the capital, a point noted more than once on this list.

I am using the term "gaijin" here to refer to racially differentiated (non-Asian) individuals, including those who appear to be from the Indian subcontinent.  If mixed-race children were with a non-Asian parent, I counted them.  I also counted one woman in a version of the headscarf worn by Moslem women, seen from behind, and her child (in a stroller), because the attire was clearly non-Japanese in nature.  That is, I tended to err on the side of counting individuals as being foreign.

I did a casual count Friday, June 17 through Sunday, June 19.  The first two days, I went about normal activity, but the last day, I confess, I deliberately went to a tourist spot.  I included those seen within my hotel, a nice business hotel that maintains a reservations web site in English and often has foreign guests.
___

Friday count: 22. (8 a.m.-7:30 p.m.)  I went through 9 subway stations: Akasaka, Meijijungumae, KitaSando, Shinjuku (Oedo at Minami Shinjuku), Aoyama Itchome, Gaienmae, Akasaka-Mitsuke to Nagatacho, and Kojimachi.  I walked at least 6 kilometers: from my hotel to the first station (.6 km), from Kita Sando west for 1.2 km, from there to several floors, including the 6th, of the Kinokuniya Bookstore in Minami Shinjuku (1.8 km), from Aoyama Itchome to Gaienmae (.7 km) and from Kojimachi back to the Akasaka area (1.6 if done efficiently, which I did not).
----

Saturday count: 135.  About 15 under 5 years old.

I went through Roppongi twice, Hiro once, and Midtown twice.  I went through three crowded shopping areas--Ebisu, Midtown, and Roppongi HIlls, plus the Photography Museum.  I went to National Azabu (upstairs) on a Saturday.


I was out 8 and a half hours, and I went through Roppongi Station (10:30 a.m.), Ebisu (subway) Station, and HIro Station.  I walked 1.5 km around Ebisu, and from Hiro to Roppongi HIlls (another 1.5 km) to Gallery Ma (another 1.5 km) to Midtown (600 meters) and back to the hotel (1 km). About 6 kilometers.


----

Sunday count: 60.  I counted 13 women; 4 were children.

Out at 9 a.m., walked from Akasaka to near the foot of Tokyo Tower via Ark Hills (1.9 km), continued on to Daimon Station, boarded a monorail to Tenozu Isle (1.5 km), Walked a very short distance from there, then boarded a cab back to Akasaka.Afterward, walked to Kasumigaseki (2 km), continued to the Imperial Palace Gardens (3 km), walked from there to Otemachi Stn (1.5), direct line back to Akasaka, and back to hotel (.5 km) about 6:30 p.m.

21 men and 8 women were seen in the area of the Imperial Palace, including joggers and apparent tourists.  (Note: I attended an English-language church service, but did not count the congregants.  There were about 45 people in the church, and between half and two-thirds were non-Asian. The church would normally have at least 50% more congregants, and often double.)

Walked about 10.5 km, was in three not-particularly-busy subway stations, but lingered around the Imperial Palace.
_______________________
...............................

Associate Professor
Department of Architecture
University of California, Berkeley

No comments:

Post a Comment