Thursday 16 June 2011

Volunteering part 2

As I left China I had a meeting with the university president about the school fees and at the same time I asked him if I could entrust the collection of tapes and books I had accumulated to the university library.  I suggested that the uni might want to expand the selection as many students had improved so much using them.   I was so naive... According to my students, the books never made it to the library - they got put into boxes, collected and then disappeared....     In 20'20 hindsight I can see clearly that had I given them directly to individual students a month before I left and spent time encouraging them to swap with each other at their weekly English corner I could have established a self sustaining system...What was I thinking in passing responsibility to the uni? I was supposed to be empowering the students....  It was a lesson to avoid intermediaries wherever possible. Even where well intentioned, giving assistance directly to known quantities has more scope empower at the local level.

Back to Aus. back to teaching, this time history.  Back to a normal insular life. No students knocking on my door at random hours asking for help with something or wanting to practice English. As a year 10 home room tutor I was responsible for the students who had a chosen charity to support. It was hard to be enthusiastic. They had to do something to raise money - it was compulsory.  Rather than cultivating their hearts, as Confucius would have advocated, it had been set in their mind as a chore.  Volunteering works when it is from the heart. Compulsory volunteering breeds resentment, power struggles, passive aggression and insincerity....

When I came to Japan I was deeply troubled by so many homeless people.  Despite this, I couldn't find the interest or energy to become involved with the groups that feed them.  Perhaps it was an unwillingness to be tied down to anything... perhaps it was the effort involved in getting to Shibuya or the Sumida-gawa.  I wasn't interested in the preaching for food that happens at Ueno Park. Over time I realised I don't need to be a part of a volunteer organisation to be doing things that make society better / people happier.  Why go to the Sumida gawa to take onigiri and coffee to people when I can buy onigiri and coffee for the homeless man near my station? Why be worried that he smells bad when I  can leave a bag with a new change of socks and underwear by his trolley?  The idea behind volunteering is really just doing things to make life or society better.   Giving up a seat at train, baby sitting a friends childen overnight to let them go out as a couple, checking over essays and application letters that former students email, walking a block or two out of the way to show a tourists where  hotel is.... none of it is grand enough to be labelled volunteering, but it still makes some kind of social contribution. Much of volunteering is just being aware of others and acting on that where one can.

In the case of the recent tsunami,  the area will never recover if it's left to locals alone. Given that the university has made it so easy to go up there to help with the clean up, and facilitated a situation where students can help directly,  it seems a natural thing to do - if one can. I will wait till the summer to do so.  It's good for the local economies too to have people up there.  I hope there is an effort being made to source goods locally.  It was with mixed feelings that I sent a couple of boxes of gift set towels and sheets that had accumulated from weddings and funerals over the years via a friend in Morioka.  The goods were all new and would be useful to people moving into temporary accommodation.... but should I be sending money instead so they can be purchased locally & help revive the economy?  I sent them, because I know she is distributing them to people that need them and want them,   but at the same time I am conscious that there is not much of an economic multiplier effect. I  hope it cheers people's spirits as well as providing goods that are needed.    The multiplier effect is an important consideration - though it can apply to attitudes as well as economics.

In developing countries I don't give money to beggars usually but often buy food from nearby food stall to give them esp. for children. It starts the multiplier effect.  Even though it contradicts personal autonomy which is important, it gives the stall holders income,  children nutrition &  the pimps don't get a chance to take a cut of the childrens' takings... Efforts that build the local economy, and people's ability to be self sufficient are really important for sustainability and dignity.

I was talking to a friend the other day about volunteering - she has three small children and a husband that works crazy hours and difficulty finding occasional day care for the youngest.  She was telling me one of her neighbours goes to a day care centre several km away as a volunteer that holds babies in a day care centre....  I commented that was a nice thing for her to do. My friend agreed, but looked at me with her exhausted face and said... I just wish she wanted to come and volunteer here.....

So.... after a long and detailed meandering I'd say
* "volunteering" need not be anything formal or particularly onerous.
* compulsory "volunteering" may get people into a habit, but does not cultivate people's hearts.
* cultivating hearts (to quote Confucius) is where the power of "volunteering" lies
* "volunteering" ideally can be learned young, by example, close to home.
* "volunteering" is most rewarding when you see it inspiring others to do the same.
* ideally people should want to volunteer....

In charity type volunteering in particular
* respect and dignity are imperatives
* don't patronise by assuming you know best for other people
* money alone isn't a solution but
* given the right way, money can be very effective.
* deal with known quantities - people you trust
* formal volunteering & NGOs should avoid creating dependency and instead nurture self sustaining projects that empower people to make their own decisions.
* there is so much to be gained by taking time out to help other people.
* it's not just something for other people to do.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. I really wish that more people would have your perspective on life!!!

    ReplyDelete